Can I suprerss separators between inactive tab names?

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I am looking at this Ribbon control and so far, I am very impressed. There is one visual appearance item that appears to differ from the Microsoft Fluent Ribbon standard, as follows: The inactive tab names have vertical separators between then. These separators don't appear in Windows 7 applets (Paint, Write, and so on) or in MS Office 2010.

Here is my question: Can these vertical separators be hidden? Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2010 at 6:20 AM
Edited Mar 17, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Let me begin by thanking you for your feedback.

We are very carefully to comply with Microsoft Office Fluent UI design guidelines.
According to the guidelines we have the following behavior:

Step 1

Gradually remove empty space to the right of the tabs

Step 2

Gradually and uniformly remove the padding from both sides of all the tabs until the minimum padding required for displaying the tab selection and hover states is reached.

Step 3

Add separator lines between tabs to assist readability.

Step 4

Reduce the width of the tab with the longest name by truncating the text label. Continue reducing the width of the largest tab (or tabs in the case of ties) until all tabs are the same width.

(NOTE: The minimum padding required for displaying the tab selection and hover states MUST be maintained.)

Step 5

Reduce the width of all core tabs equally down to a minimum of about three characters.

(NOTE: Contextual tab names SHOULD NOT be truncated until Step 6 below.)

Step 6

Display a horizontal scroll button.

This behavior is true for Office 2007, 2010 and Scenic (Windows 7 ribbons).
Do you mean these separators? Actually demo has a lot of tabs and separators are visible. Enlarge demo window to hide separators.
If you see samples (or walkthrough http://fluent.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?DownloadId=108351) you will not see separators.

Daniel

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Okay--I see what you are saying. If I drag the right border of an Office 2010 window to the left, it of course reduces the width of the window. As the width decreases, ribbon tab names are pushed closer together, and eventually, separator bars do appear between the names of inactive tabs. Drag the right border back to the right, icreasing the width of the window, and the separator bars disappear. That makes sense.

The screen shot you have on your main page shows a window whose width has been decreased until the separator bars appear, which gave me the impression that your Ribbon control had separator bars that were visible all the time. Have you thought about replacing that screen shot with one that doesn't show the separator bars, so that people don't get the wrong idea? In any event, I now understand how the separators work.