Questions about Fluent .NET 4.0 RC Release

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I was just wondering why you guys currently have it as a separate release without source code. Are the compatibility changes breaking for earlier versions of .NET? Also I noticed that there are both 32 and 64 bit definitions for the PInvoked *WindowLong() functions. Why are these necessary? The native *WindowLongPtr() functions work on all versions of windows starting with XP and the definitions are automatically 32 or 64 bit based on the runtime architecture.  You are checking for the pointer size and then using a deprecated *WindowLong() on x86 even though the *WindowLongPtr() functions were created specifically to address this issue. If you guys could release the source to your .NET 4.0 branch that would help those of us using the RC to submit bug reports with solutions =).

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Hello, Corilian.

Yes, unfortunately, compatibility changes breaking for earlier versions of .NET.

> The native *WindowLongPtr() functions work on all versions of windows starting with XP....
WindowLongPtr is absent in WOW64. If you are using Windows x64 try to compare with DependencyWalker user32.dll in System32 and SysWOW64.

> If you guys could release the source to your .NET 4.0 branch
Maybe we'll release sources of NET 4.0 compatible build with next version.
I would like have only NET 4.0 version in future... ;-) 

Daniel

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for the update Daniel. I looked into the x86 export of the WindowsLongPtr() functions and you are correct. I guess MSDN doesn't bother to mention it because it's a non-issue in C/C++ due to preprocessor directives. Well I look forward to your next build then =).