Should we move to GitHub?

Developer
Oct 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Hi,

i was thinking about moving this project over to GitHub.
The reasons are:
  • I am unable to reach the two project coordinators to grant me full rights
  • Codeplex is kinda dead nowadays
  • Last blog post of the codeplex team is over one year old
  • Statistics on codeplex stopped working in the first week of october and no one cares
  • AppVeyor does not work with code hosted at codeplex
  • GitHub site features are superior, compared to codeplex (statistics, pull requests, issue tracker and so on)
Moving to GitHub would also mean a switch to git from mercurial.

What's your opinion? Should we stay on codeplex or move on to GitHub?
Treat this as a kind of announcement. If no one complains within two weeks i will move on to GitHub.
Oct 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear what happens with codeplex. It is a great cool project from you. And I would not worry on which platform you publish your project. I would follow it further :-)

br
Oct 27, 2014 at 2:39 AM
I love this project and would hate to see it go away, but why discuss moving if the original authors can't be contacted then you really don't have rights to modify their code and publish it elsewhere. I'd hate to see you end up in an ugly rights lawsuit. The other thing is if you search online for this it easily comes here to because the site has been on CodePlex for many years. I would continue to try to contact the original authors. Otherwise you'd practically have to rewrite the project from scratch .
Developer
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM
you really don't have rights to modify their code and publish it elsewhere
I have the right to modify the code and i am doing this for years now. Publishing it elsewhere is just like another fork. I won't remove any signs of the original authors and won't claim it's all mine.
I'd hate to see you end up in an ugly rights lawsuit
This is an open source project. Moving to GitHub would be just another fork. There are no legal issues.
The other thing is if you search online for this it easily comes here to because the site has been on CodePlex for many years.
I would place a notice and a link on the "Home" site of this project stating that we moved to GitHub.
I would continue to try to contact the original authors. Otherwise you'd practically have to rewrite the project from scratch .
I will try to contact them again but there's not much hope in reaching them.
Oct 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Please move to GitHub. Then I can finally start doing pull requests which is far too tedious on CodePlex. CodePlex is dying, better make it quick. I moved all my repositories to GitHub about 1,5 years ago, never regretted it.
Oct 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM
And he won't have legal issues since this is Ms-Pl license:

"each contributor grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright license to reproduce its contribution, prepare derivative works of its contribution, and distribute its contribution or any derivative works that you create."

But please use MIT, it's more standard and it means the same.
Developer
Oct 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I contacted daVinci again to ask about his opinion.

The first steps for the move to GitHub are already done by creating the appropriate organization and creating a repository for XamlCombine.
I will continue to prepare the move to GitHub during the next weeks and, hopefully, finally flip the switch between 7th to 9th october.
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM
By the way all I meant by not having the rights to modify their code, was without their consent. And If you moved the project without their consent and didn't continue to give them full credit for the original source that there could be legal issues. I wasn't trying to imply that you in particular didn't have the right to modify the code. I understand it's open source. I just wanted to understand some people can be real !@#$% when it comes to doing things with their project without their full consent.
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM
But that's the whole point. The license is Ms-Pl which means you can do whatever you want with the code ;-)
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Is the GitHub page up? I need to make a fork and not much point doing it here. :P
Oct 31, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Hi, I can see why you want to move to github - but will you be keeping the nuget packages? That's a really useful feature. Thanks.
Developer
Nov 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM
The GitHub page is not up because i want to give the original devs the chance to say something.

The nuget packages will be kept of course.

The codeplex site won't be deleted, i would place a big notice on the home tab which states that future development takes place on github.
Coordinator
Nov 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Hello, everyone!

Strangely I havent received any emails from you.
Well, my thoughts... As you know, we (me Daniel Degtyarev and Sergey Rikker) have founded the project and actively been developed it. Unfortunately, after some time, we were out of spare time. My main desire is to keep the project alive and developing. We accepted a cople of join requests.

Actually I am very happy to see that you keep move the Fluent project forward!
Again, I want that the project will be alive and moved forward. Personally I dont mind to move github, BUT if it will be made wrong, it might hurt the project.

I think the following should be takeт into account:
  • Do not remove any content on codeplex, only add a notice (as you already said). Url fluent.codeplex.com is well known around web (google, blogs, forums) and we should adopt it.
  • Import / export repository with history
  • Import / export or just "cherry pick" feature requests / bugs
Also, more personaly
  • Add me to the project on github :)
Thank you for you efforts, you are cool!
Daniel
Developer
Nov 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Nice to hear from you and even nicer that you appreciate the move.

I will do it right, of course. ;-)

Steps done so far:
  • Write a script, based on hg-git, which converts our repository from hg to git in a repeatable way (has to be tested a bit more)
  • Create "fluentribbon" as organization on github https://github.com/fluentribbon
  • Move XamlCombine to GitHub
Next steps which will take place this week:
  • Place a notice on codeplex that we are moving/have moved
  • Reject last open pull request on codeplex
  • Convert repository and push to github
  • Add notice to github that the project was previously hosted on codeplex (backreference)
Steps that will be made over time:
  • Recreate all open issues/features/tasks from codeplex in github
  • Recreate wiki and other pages on github
@daVinci:
Just send me your name on github and i'll be happy to add you.
It would be nice if you could inform Sergey that i created a XamlCombine project on github.
I was planning to change the license from MS-PL to MIT on github. Would that be ok for you?
Thank you for your efforts and for initiating this fantastic project!
Developer
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Next steps which are done:
  • Reject last open pull request on codeplex
  • Convert repository and push to github
  • Screenshots are now on GitHub
  • Walkthrough is now on GitHub
  • "Home" is now on GitHub
Developer
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Next steps which are done:
  • Place a notice on codeplex that we are moving/have moved
  • Add notice to github that the project was previously hosted on codeplex (backreference)