This project is read-only.

Disable scrolling of ribbon tab items

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I would like to disable the scrolling of the tab items with the mouse wheel because there are some users who are confused by this.

The best way to do this that I've found is add a PreviewMouseWheel event to the Ribbon.
private void Ribbon_PreviewMouseWheel(object sender, MouseWheelEventArgs e)
{
    e.Handled = true;
}
But this also disables the scrolling for ComboBoxes and Custom Controls.

Is there a better way to disable this? It would be possible to add a property to disable this (and I'm willing to contribute the code for this), but I want to discuss this with you first, what would make sense.
Oct 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM
I'd like know what confuses your users as the ribbon behaves as office does.
Do they complain about this behavior in office too, or don't they use office?

Beside that, which version are you using? As far as i can remember i fixed a few issues with scrolling in the past two years.
Oct 31, 2014 at 9:07 AM
No you got that wrong, I know it's totally intended to behave this way (as it does in office), but we don't use the ribbons like in office, but more like tabs (I know this is not what ribbons are intended to be used as, but I'm stuck with this, and I'm pretty sure there are other developers who use them in the same fashion).

In this setup it would be more convenient to be able to disable it completely.

Also the behavior is sometimes inconsistent, because when you click in a RibbonGroupBox and then try to scroll it will stop working until you change the tab manually.
Nov 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Yeah, noticed that inconsistence too. Maybe it's too restrictive.

Regarding your request:
Find a way to disable scrolling while keeping anything else working, create a pull request and i will be happy to merge it.
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Ok, but I will wait for the move to github, because it's pretty annoying to do that on codeplex ;)
Nov 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Will be on GitHub this week.
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:58 AM
Marked as answer by batzen on 1/30/2015 at 1:58 AM