New to WPF and Ribbon Confused how to show multiple forms?

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Hi,

Good day! I am using WPF 4.0 and Fluent Ribbon Control 1.3.

• I am new to WPF and really confused how to show the forms when user click on some ribbon command button? May be still I am in old MDI world, but I need some equivalent new concept using Ribbon control?

Hints or Questions:

• Should I create forms in separate WPF windows and those windows we can call through Ribbon control?
  • Should I create a ribbon window and data entry forms on tab control's tabs and then I should show appropriate tab on a ribbon command button click? If this is right then how can I hide the tab top button so that user should not feel that I am using a tab control?

Regards,

Habib ur Rehman Janjua

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Hello.

I do not really understand the question... you can start with reading the Ribbon conception. As for data entry forms, yes you can use TabControl, Pages... to hide tabs you can create your style with empty content...

Daniel

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot! I think you have almost replied me, now just confirm me;

I have a ribbonTabItem containing number of buttons including drop down button... when ever user will click on any button I want to show a new data entry form (page / tabItem of tabcontrol)

Where should I add page (data entry form) if the XAML is in following shape, most importantly I have created data entry forms as separately from the ribbonwindow but with in the project ? This concept is almost close to the MDI, but I don't want to use MDI Windows Form!

<frc:RibbonTabItem Header="Administration">
                <frc:RibbonGroupBox Header="User and Role Management">
                    <frc:Button Text="Add / Edit User" Icon="Images\edit_user.png" LargeIcon="Images\edit_user.png"/>
                    <frc:Button Text="Add / Edit Group" Icon="Images\edit_group.png" LargeIcon="Images\edit_group.png"/>
                    <frc:Button Text="Delete User" Icon="Images\delete_user.png" LargeIcon="Images\delete_user.png"/>
                    <frc:Button Text="Delete Group" Icon="Images\delete_group.png" LargeIcon="Images\delete_group.png"/>
                </frc:RibbonGroupBox>
</frc:RibbonTabItem>

Let's suppose user clicked on Add / Edit User button , now I want to show the Add User Form (Build on a page)?

Regards,

Habib ur Rehman Janjua

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2010 at 5:13 AM

That's depend how you design your UI. Note, that Microsoft do not recomend to open dialogs by clicking Ribbon buttons. Try to use UserControl as your 'data entry forms'.

Daniel