Licensing of Fluent Ribbon Control Suite

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:17 AM

Hi All,

Is it necessary to register your application with Fluent UI licensing page (MicrosoftOffice UI Licensing) to use Fluent Ribbon Control Suite ?

Thanks in advances

Sourabh

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 3:59 AM

If you will make an application with Fluent UI implemented, you should "visit this site and accept a simple click-through agreement". Moreover you will receive an evaluation copy of the design guidelines (note, you may use it only if you accepted the agreement). 

Daniel

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Hi daVinci,

Thanks for the replay. Is this means Fluent Ribbon Control Suite  is using microsoft ribbon control internally? If not then why we reuired to agreed the MicrosoftOffice UI Licensing?

Thanks and regards

Sourabh

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Well, your application will be imlement Microsoft Fluent user interface. You cant make app similar to one of the Office applications. Other types of app is allowed by MS through the license, so you should accept it. We are just a control suite provider (not connected with WPF Ribbon team), to get more competent information, send your question to officeui@microsoft.com . The meaning of their answer you can post here to inform other our users.

Daniel

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Edited Mar 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Computerfreak wrote:

I want to develop an application using your Fluent Ribbon Controls. And I want to publish this app under freeware license. Does this idea fit to the license YOU bind to this controls and must I license my app at the Fluent UI Licensing page?

This question has been answered over and over.

The simple answer is yes!

You must abide by the the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) http://fluent.codeplex.com/license (for this project)

Also if you visit http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa973809.aspx you will see that this project applies to option 3 and you must register your application

By the way its "Open Source" rather than "Free Ware" although very similar when it comes to license's its much different.

Summary of the License Registration

Microsoft Office Fluent User Interface Design Guidelines License Agreement
This agreement is between Microsoft Corporation and you, the entity listed below. This agreement gives you rights to use elements of the 2010 Microsoft Office Fluent User Interface (“2010 Office Fluent UI”) in software applications or tools that you use or license to others.
That alone again answers your question. YES
Hope I am help full :-)

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I need to refresh this thread =).

What about current situation? The Office UI licensing program is now retired and on a website (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa973809.aspx) we can read: "If you are not already licensed to use the Office UI under the retired program, you can use any of the Microsoft tools and frameworks to implement the Ribbon UI in your current or future Windows applications". But what about if I don't want to use any of these frameworks, but fluent? They said (at the end): "If you are not already licensed under the Office UI licensing program, and you do not want to use any of the Microsoft tools and technologies, Microsoft no longer has a separate Office Ribbon UI licensing program". I already wrote a message to MS, but still no response. So it looks like we can use 3rd party frameworks (like 'fluent' is) without any permissions from MS (accepting their licenses)? And what if I make some functionality like in some MS Office app? Let me say, I want to create a small mail client (so kind of Outlook) in my project and I want to use the 'fluent' also, so there is still some restriction?