how to install fluent ribbon

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM

i add the dll file using references

but i cant find components in toolbox or in choose toolbox items window

plz help me (im new to vb.net)

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM

This is a WPF control. You should be creating Either VB WPF or C# WPF projects to use it. If you follow the documentation they have prepared it will help you to get started in a few minutes. Since you are new to VB.Net you need to understand that this is not just Visual Basic. Visual Basic is the language you selected to write the code behind the scenes. XMAL is the language being used to layout the window and place all of the controls. WPF is a hybrid language, requiring understanding of not just one language but at least two or more.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM

The documentation does not explain how to include Fluent into a WPF solution. A complete explanation would be useful.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Starting from an assumption that you downloaded the source code (and not the already compiled binaries) you would first have to build the fluent project.  Afterwards, create your own VB.Net project (just like you normally would), or open an existing project.  Copy the binaries created when you built the fluent project to your existing project folder you just created (or anyplace you typically keep your binaries).  In the new project you created simply add a reference to your project and point it to the fluent binary from the previous step...this can be done by right clicking references, select add reference, choose browse, and browse to the location you saved the binary.  Once you've done that you can simply add a xmlns reference in your xaml to the fluent namespace, and then just prefix your controls with however you labeled your xmnls reference.  That's pretty much it...here's an (extremely) abbreviated coding sample:

<Window Style="{DynamicResource {x:Type Window}}" Icon="Images\icon.png" x:Class="YourNameSpace.YourClass"
    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
    xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
    Title="Your Title" Height="730" Width="1020"
    xmlns:Fluent="clr-namespace:Fluent;assembly=Fluent"
    Loaded="Window_Loaded" Closing="Window_Closing">
    <Grid>
        <Fluent:Ribbon Name="MainRibbon" Margin="0,-50,0,0" IsQuickAccessToolBarVisible="False" CanQuickAccessLocationChanging="False" CanCustomizeQuickAccessToolBar="False" CanCustomizeRibbon="False">
            <Fluent:RibbonTabItem>
                <Fluent:RibbonGroupBox Name="Options" Header="Your Options">
                    <Fluent:Button Header="Add Item" Click="BtnAdd_Click" Name="btnAdd" LargeIcon="images\image.png" Icon="images\smallImage.png"/>
                    <Fluent:Button Header="Remove Item" Click="BtnRemove_Click" Name="btnRemove" LargeIcon="images\rem.png" Icon="images\remSmall.png"/>
                </Fluent:RibbonGroupBox>

Hope this helps you,

Aj

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Oh something I should have reinforced...like AdamDavis said, if you're not using WPF, this ribbon control library won't work for you (well not without reinventing the wheel anyway)...if you are using VB.Net for Windows Forms rather than VB.Net for WPF, then you'll want to look at the Windows Ribbon for Windows Forms (don't have a link handy but it's not hard to find).  If you're a new coder, this is a little bit more advanced of an implementation.  In either instance, I've had a fair amount of luck myself posting on the WPF forums on MSDN as well as StackOverflow, they're all great guys willing to help out.

Best of luck,

Aj