Abandoned?

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Hey guys,

Hadn't seen any additions to the list of code sets in a while, has this project been abandoned for further development?

Just Curious,

Aj

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I highly doubt this project has been abandoned, but everyone should also realize that this is not their primary job. This is simply a  project and as such we have to allow them to have regular lives.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM

So what you're saying is you've got no idea?...lol.  There are those of us (probably many of us) who are using the ribbon in production environments and have to concern ourselves with the long term viability of the project.  I'm not at all implying that issues must be addressed on a set schedule or that more time needs to be devoted, I'm simply wondering if (like many other projects) this one has reached its conclusion, so we can adequately plan future direction...I don't think I'm at all being unreasonable.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Yes and since you are using a free 3rd party product it is your option whether or not to make your production dependent on a 3rd party control or not. Even professionally developed controls, purchased to do similar tasks might not have the update frequency with which you are wanting. But this is a choice you must make with your product. Given that this control is being developed in their spare time, and that they are not charging anyone for the use of this control, I feel they can release updates at their leasure. if you need a more immediate and responsive control product feel free to look else where. I for one thank this team for their hard work. By the way, they do have the source code available if you wish to alter any issues you are having with it and your product. I'm certain they would appreciate you bringing any solutions you have to their attention.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Hmm...you either didn't read my response in its entirety or didn't understand its content...in either instance, I'll reiterate my previous point so as not to confuse the issue.  I'm not asking for more frequent updates, and since I'm using their control in a production environment, I obviously think they've done a stellar job in developing a production ready product (and thank them each time I post on the tracker); at this point I'm simply curious if they're still actively partaking in the project, or if those of us who are using it, should continue on in their stead.  On a side note, I do regularly, and have since it's inception, downloaded the source code, and have contributed in reporting bug fixes and the like.  That said; if they're no longer adding to the code base, I think it would be advisable to let everyone using the ribbon know so they can in fact do as you suggest and alter the source code as needed, if however they're just taking hiatus (which is fine with me, everyone needs a vacation), the lot of us who have been contributing will continue to contribute rather than unnecessarily branching out the source - ie. continue it as a community effort.  My question still goes unanswered despite your soap-box laden responses...if you don't actually know, I think the responses, especially the second were uncalled for...if however anyone else does know, please share with the group (or at least the two of us to put this argument to bed).

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Ahhhh. I understand your reasoning now and do apologize for my soap-box response. In all sincerity, I took your initial post as a jibe toward the developers. There have been numerous posts by individuals have that contain remarks somewhat telling the developers to basically fix certain functionality or they will be forced to use another product. This to me seems rude given that the developers of this tool are allowing us to use their hard work for free. Once again I apologize for coming across as if I'm on a soap-box.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:28 PM

No worries, I don't take this stuff seriously, just a spirited debate.  I've been the head of software development where I am for quite a while now and get deadlines barked at me all the time, I certainly wouldn't do it to anyone else as I know how it feels.

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Today, Fluent is sufficient for our projects and we don’t have enough time to implement major changes. We are waiting a preview or beta of Office 15 to continue to add new features and major changes. However we should fix some bugs in the meantime.

May 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It's too bad really; Ribbons are highly specific little things, suitable for only a very small number of programs. Fluent has a beautiful TabControl Group, I wish I could use it as a general tab control replacement on other projects. 

May 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM

We have realized that there are no developers registered beside the two coordinators. How about opening the project for additional developers? At least for applying patches and improving the current state this would probably help quite a lot to relieve the coordinators. Are there any plans for opening the project?

May 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM

So why can't you use it as a TabControl?  You're right, a RibbonWindow is very specfic, the Ribbon control itself however with very little tweaking would make a great TabControl, to get a feel, just minimize the ribbon and see how it looks...the only downside I can see really is that at 3/4 of a meg, the dll is a little heavy - that said, you can always remove what you don't need since it's an open source project.